PHD STUDENT IN PHILOSOPHY AND NON-PROFIT PROFESSIONAL (https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonchaines)
- Administrative Assistant at John Paul II Forum August 2015 – Present (8 months)
- Founder/Academic Coach at ReasonBright February 2011 – Present (5 years 2 months) Provides supplemental education to students in Latin, Greek, Spanish, English and select liberal arts subjects.
- Adjunct Professor, Philosophy at College of Lake County January 2014 – May 2015 (1 year 5 months) Ethics Philosophy of Religion
- Administrative Assistant at Anderson Financial Management & Accounting, LLC January 2014 – December 2014 (1 year) Our firm advises non-profits in best practices both financially and legally. Firm Administration Client Services Bookkeeping Firm Marketing Client Development
- Assistant Director – Research and Communications at Serra International June 2011 – November 2013 (2 years 6 months)
- A Few Accomplishments
- Designed, created and operated online Serra International Store
- Designed and managed a promotional blog with 70,000 views the first year. Created to engage Serra with younger audience – St. Peter’s List Ranked #9 out of 40 in 2012.
- Helped create and became a regular contributor to SerraConnects Magazine
- Organized three International Conventions encouraging vocations with participants representing 20 countries.
- Represented the Organization at regional conventions in Macau and meetings in Singapore, Rome, Spain and Brazil
- Developed online marketing and social media strategies, using Facebook, YouTube, and other media, and managed Serra’s website via Joomla Content Management System.
- Wrote speech for Vocations Congress in Rome 21 October 2011
- Wrote Eucharistic Adoration for Priestly Vocations; 2000 copies distributed to date
- Developed an online store for Serra, including inventory selection and shipping systems
- Revised organization’s manuals at Club, District and Regional levels.
- Eucharistic Adoration for Priestly Vocations Booklet May 2012 to June 2012: In 2012, with the generous financial support of the Serra Club of Singapore and the composition of the assistant director Jon Haines, Serra produced a booklet entitled “Eucharistic Adoration for Priestly Vocations” which is available in both hard and soft (digital) copy. It contains not only Serran prayers but also the traditional prayers of during exposition, adoration and reposition, various litanies and hymns as well as a brief introduction.
- Serra Connects Magazine March 2012 to Present: The magazine is a bi-monthly publication which seeks to unite Serrans across the world both vertically by sharing matters of the faith with an educational aspect, and horizontally by sharing events, undertakings of various Serra Clubs and experiences of individuals worldwide. While we meet weekly to discuss design and coordinate and implement ideas, the vertical section “Call To Holiness” is my usual writing contribution.
- Formal Job Description: Responsible for assisting Serra’s Board of Trustees and it’s Executive Director to meet Serra’s third objective for the 20,000 Serrans worldwide. Develops and promulgates electronic and printed publications and programs capable of being used and adapted for stimulating the spiritual growth of Serrans worldwide as well as being suitable for enhancing Serra’s image through the Catholic and secular media. Develops long-term communications plans in collaboration with the Executive Director. Assists the Executive Director to set priorities and to determine budgetary requirements for research and communications activities and programs. Plans and develops and specific EDP systems to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Serra’s research and communication. Carries out such other associated responsibilities as directed by the Executive Director.
- A Few Accomplishments
- SG Public Relations Liaison and Justice at Franciscan University of Steubenville August 2010 – May 2011 (10 months) I work as the student government public relations delegate.
- Intensive English Teacher at Grupo Attendis, Colegio El Romeral June 2010 – August 2010 (3 months) Taught an English class and study hall six days a week and lead conversation and personal speaking with the boys individually.
- Legal Clerk at Jeff Berndt December 2008 – August 2009 (9 months) Composed legal documents for use in court procedures.
- Independent Sales Representative at Vector Marketing December 2006 – June 2007 (7 months) Sold fine cutlery, managing my own contacts and leads. $3500.00 in product sales. Discontinued due to summer seminary program.
- Latin (Full professional proficiency)
- Spanish (Limited working proficiency)
- Ancient Greek (to 1453) (Professional working proficiency)
- Italian (Elementary proficiency)
- English (Native or bilingual proficiency)
- Center for Thomistic Studies, Doctor of Philosophy Student (Present Full Time Occupation), 2015 – 2020 (anticipated)
- Aestiva Milvuchiae Latinitas MMXV (Summer Latin Experience) with Fr. Reginald Foster (Milwaukee, WI).
- Northwestern University – Kellogg School of Management Non-Profit Professional Certificate (paused), 2014 – 2015
- Istituto Italiano di Cultura 2011 – 2011 Activities and Societies: Basic study of Italian language grammar, conversation and culture.
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Master’s Degree, MA Philosophy, 2010 – 2011
- Activities and Societies: Franciscan University Student Government, Latin Tutoring, Cross Country
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Bachelor’s Degree, BA Philosophy, Latin and Greek Studies Double Major, 2006 – 2010
- Activities and Societies: Dom Gueranger Society, Pre-Theologate Program, Co-founder of a Fraternity (Equites Lux Sacra), Intramural Soccer, Frisbee and Flag football.
- “Custom as a Matter of Legal Justice.” Presented at the Justice and Religion, Satellite Session for the American Catholic Philosophical Association, University of San Francisco, November 2, 2016.
- “Justice Empirically Discovered: The Role of Custom in Aristotelian-Thomistic Thought.” Upcoming: Symposium Thomisticum in Paris, June, 2016.
- “Veritas Intactilis.” Presented at Furman University, January 2014.
- “Naturalistic Fallacy v. Natural Law.” Presented at Louisiana State University, April, 2011.
OTHER CONFERENCE ACTIVITY
- Attendee: The Power of Beauty. Sponsor: Franciscan University of Steubenville. 24-25 October, 2014.
- Attendee: Can Science Inform Our Understanding of God? Sponsor: Franciscan University of Steubenville. 2-3 December, 2011.
- American Classical League
- American Catholic Philosophical Association
- Philosophy of Nature, John Hittinger, Fall 2016
- Treatise on Man, Catherine Sommers, Fall 2016
- Contemporary Logic, Christopher Martin, Spring 2016
- Human Action Theory, Steven Jensen, Spring 2016
- Thomas Aquinas on Justice, R.E. Houser, Fall 2015
- Philosophy of Religion, Christopher Martin, Fall 2015
- Thomistic Metaphysics, John F. X. Knasas, Fall 2015
- Directed Study: New Atheism, Paul Symington, Summer 2011
- Emotion and Judgment, Jonathan Sanford, Spring 2011
- Problems in Personal Identity, Paul Symington, Spring 2011
- Clinical Bioethics Practicum, Patrick Lee, Spring 2011
- Ethics of Healthcare Law and Social Politics, Patrick Lee, Spring 2011
- Clinical Issues in Bioethics, Patrick Lee, Fall 2010
- Foundations of Bioethics, Patrick Lee, Fall 2010
- Nietzsche and the Greeks, Jonathan Sanford, Fall 2010
- Texts of Van Inwagen, Paul Symington, Fall 2010
- Texts of Dietrich von Hildebrand, Fall 2010
HONORS AND AWARDS
- From the Heart Award (2007)
- Eagle Scout Boy Scouts of America February 2004
- Magna Cum Laude National Latin Exam (2004)
- Ad Altare Dei (2002)
- Head Organizer and Trustee of Young Adult Group at St. John Cantius Parish April 2012 – Present (4 years)
INTERESTS: Languages, Philosophy, Teaching, Emerging Technology (hard and soft), Soccer, Hiking/Camping/ Backpacking, Traveling and living with different cultures:
- France, 2016
- Rome, 2015
- Brazil, 2013
- Mallorca, UK, and Ireland, 2013
- China and Singapore, 2012
- Switzerland and Rome, 2011
- Canada, 2011
- Spain, 2010
- Austria and fourteen other European countries, 2008